RE: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

At 05:16 AM 4/23/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Joe wrote:
>>Huh?  Something's not right here.  The change to WROL was in 1978, so how
>>did that have anything to do with the 1940s controversy?
>
>According to an interview I read with the GM, the station had wanted to get
>back the original calls for YEARS.  I have no idea why.  Perhaps
>nostalgia... (Ken Carter finally got the calls in 1978; they had belonged to
>a station in Kentucky for a long while...)

Donna: I GUARANTEE that you are WRONG on this. When I came to Boston in
1956, the AM 950 WAS WORL _not_ WRYT. I will stake my LIFE on that! Period.
The WRYT calls came later. And the WROL calls arrived _after_ the WRYT
calls. The station wanted to change from WRYT back to WORL and could not get
WORL because it was (and is) in use in Orlando.

The part about Carter's wanting to get the WORL calls back for years
certainly is plausible, and I have no reason to doubt that part of your
story. It squares with what I've heard elsewhere. But he finally gave up.
That's when WRYT became WROL.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205