Re: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

At 05:21 AM 4/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

>The station lost its license in the late
>40s because the FCC decided Bulova and LaFount had done some nasty stuff at
>their New York station (!) so they yanked the licenses of their other
>station too.

Bulova's New York station (or one of them) was WNEW (now WBBR). Bulova also
had an interest in WOV (now WADO), I believe. I am unaware of the FCC ever
pulling the license of either of these New York stations. Maybe Bulova
struck a deal with the FCC. Maybe he didn't want to be in radio in Boston
and wanted to be in radio in New York. so he let them lift his Boston
license and keep his license or licenses in New York. If not, maybe the FCC
let him sell his New York licenses--much the way the FCC let RKO General cut
its own deals to sell its broadcast licenses--except for those in Boston.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205