WORL History continued

In the June 6, 1949 issue of Broadcasting, on page 28, there is a huge
"WORL, 1926-- 1949" wreathed in black, sort of an obituary.  The last words
under the old ownership were spoken by Philip Walsh, of the 920 Club (they
had been at 920 AM for years, and even when they moved up to 950, the name
of the show had remained the same; this may seem confusing to people, but
nostalgia had long been a part of this little station...).  He said "WORL
will now cease for all time its broadcasting activities."  Thus ended a 5
year battle with the FCC.  Sentiment ran so strong that the employees (and a
couple of folks from the Boston Globe!) tried to buy the station to save it,
but they couldn't come up with the funding.  42 people lost their jobs, the
majority of whom had been with the station since its move to Boston back in
the mid 1930s...

George Lasker bailed out and ended up at WBMS.  Bob Perry got a job at
another Boston station (I'm sure Dan knows which one-- I forget right now).
I'm not sure what happened to everyone else, but the Boston media ranted and
raved about it for weeks...