RE: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> The change to the call letters 'WROL' occurred out of a big controversy in
> the late 1940s over the denial of license renewal by the FCC to the original
> owners of what was then WORL (Arde Bulova and George LaFount, I believe);

Huh?  Something's not right here.  The change to WROL was in 1978, so how
did that have anything to do with the 1940s controversy?

> New owners finally took over several years
> later (1951, I believe), but the WORL calls were gone by then... the new
> owners tried to get as close to the former calls as they could, because many
> people had fond memories of the station even then, and were still upset at
> its having been taken off the air.

Again, huh?  The station used the WORL calls through the 50s and until the
change to WRYT in 1966.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/