Re: 1957 airstaffs

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> This may bring back some memories-- courtesy of my friend Bill Buchanan, who
> wrote a far better radio column than the Globe has these days <g>, here is
> the d.j. line-up at the late, lamented WORL in March of 1957.  (Note--
> somebody mentioned that Dave Maynard was first at WORL before joining WBZ,
> and that's absolutely right...)  WORL had Dave Maynard, Stan Richards, Greg
> Finn, Norm Tulin, and Hank Elliott listed as their air-staff (this list is
> from a record promoter).

What I remember around that time was a Sunday morning kids show (It was on
right after WHDH's "Children's Playhouse.") which featured a succession of
"uncles."  The first was Uncle Norm, who may perhaps have been Norm Tulin.
He tended to have a number of characters with rhyming names show up in
between the records.  Names like "Polly the Dolly," "Duane the Drain,"
etc.  The second uncle may have been the inspiration for "Duane the
Drain," because he was Uncle Duane.

> Any others that people would like me to share with everyone on the list?  I
> recall a lot of these announcers, although my station of choice in 1957 was
> WCOP (which was doing top-40);

Mine too.  Who did they have in 1957?  The ones I remember from around
then were Bob Wilson, Paul Knight, and Bill Clark.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/