Re: 1957 airstaffs

At 06:41 AM 4/20/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Any others that people would like me to share with everyone on the list?

Absolutely: WHIL. I remember a super-talented guy in the mornings--Bob
Walsh. Walsh did more voices than Jess Cain did. Of course, he didn't write
his own songs, such as Cain's "Fly Me to Methuen," "I Left My Hat in
Billerica," or (to the tune of Harry Belafonte's "Matilda") "Nantasket...
Nantasket... Nantasket, peninsula peninsula, down there in Hull." Later in
the day, there was Jim Alyward, who had a wonderful on-air presence. I think
that, after he left WHIL, Aylward worked strictly as a producer at the old
WEEI. I don't know whether Walsh or Aylward ever worked on the air again
after they left WHIL.

Another WHIL personality was Jack McDermott. I don't recall whether he was a
contemporary of Walsh's and Aylward's or not. I think McDermott was involved
in the 50s payola scandals.

And at WTAO, who was the DJ who wrote "Daddy's Little Girl" and other really
big (and cloyingly maudlin) pop songs? Was that Ed Penney?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205