WRPT

And Doug Bassett wrote:
>[Authorized to be on the air] Probably until sunset in Nashville, TN, the
>location of  dominant WSM 650.
>According to the U.S. Naval Observatory, sunset in Nashville on 4/16/97 was
>at 8:22 EDT (7:22 CDT). I don't believe that WRPT could stay on any later
>than that. (although I'm open to corrections:)

        There are several strange things about this station. One is that I
thought the FCC was not licensing any new so-called "daytimers." Another is
why it's only 250 watts. Maybe this is a temporary setup to get on the air.
With a directional antenna, they ought to be able to run at least ten times
that power--aimed right at Boston to protect 640 in Westfield and WFAN.
        That said, I think I can clarify a couple things:
        Assuming the FCC database is correct that it is licensed "daytime"
only, it automatically gets some post-sunset authority, at some flea power.
If it is considered to be within WSM's 0.5 mv/50% skywave contour, that
authority runs until sunset at Nashville. If it is considered to be outside
the contour (which the FCC describes as usually about 750 miles), it runs
for two hours after the local sunset at WRPT, which, this month, would give
it until, I believe, 9:30 p.m. This is true for all "daytimers" and is one
of the main things that have trashed the laughably named clear channels.
        My guess is that WRPT is considered outside the protected WSM
contour, as WSM is a bit farther from Boston than is Chicago, and the
fulltime station on 890 was authorized to Dedham. In other words, under the
1980 cutback of protection for the former I-A clear-channel stations, 650
could be used for a full-time station in the Boston area, taking into
account protection for Westfield and WFAN, which takes me back to the
mystery of why WRPT is licensed for daytime only. But don't tell anyone
there about this, as I certainly don't want to encourage them. It may have
something to do with WSM delaying it with lawyers. WSM has been perhaps the
most aggressive (along with KSL and WGN) of the old I-A stations in trying
to protect what's left of its nighttime skywave coverage.
        Perhaps someone in the right location can listen to hear if WRPT
turns down the power at sunset. The few times I've heard them post-sunset,
it sounded suspiciously strong. But, then again, it is (was) a clear
channel, and that makes a lot of difference.

        Here's to the Grand Ole Opry . . . R.I.P. Luckily, part of it's on TV.