Re: WRPT

At 01:31 AM 4/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On 16 April at 9:06 pm, you wrote:
>
>As far as to *whether* they should be on later than sundown; Dan Strassburg
>reported some very interesting news on that six or so weeks ago when I sent
>out an email on the list. If I believe correctly, their presunset authority
>(PSSA) is for FULL power (250w), and their nighttime power is 25w,
>according to the FCC database. If I recall properly, Dan suggested that
>this could have been a misinterpretation of the license, and that the
>station likely had a PSSA of 25w and no nighttime allocation at all.

PSSA is post-sunset authority. PSRA is pre-sunrise authority. As a station
located east of the dominant station on its frequency, I don't think WRPT is
entitled to a PSRA. So I believe that, come winter (or even October, when
daylight saving time is still in effect), WRPT will be signing on at sunrise
(with full power), unless they get a nighttime authorization in the
meantime. As I said, WRPT must be entitled to a nighttime authorization
(else the never-buit AM 650 in Clinton MA could not have had a CP for
fulltime operation). However, I do not think a nighttime authorization would
be for 25W, which is the power WRPT is allegedly using from 1 hour after
sunset until signoff. I think a power in the neighborhood of 8W is more
likely. The FCC AM database still shows no sign of an application for night
service, much less a grant.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205