In response...

You hit it right on the money. I totally agree with everything you say.
"Community feeling," (or whatever you wish to call it) or no community
feeling, people are always interested in hearing their name or their
friend's name, et al, over the airwaves. It provokes a thrill of sorts, may
I say it rivals the thrill of actually being on-air as a talent. When you
see that locally-oriented type of programming, it makes you feel part of
something. Well, I will stop with the old-fashioned look at the
broadcasting. I still would like to see some of these small-time stations
actually take a risk, throw the dish in the trash - heck, even have a guy
*tape* his liners and segues for insertion in the show if you are
short-staffed- and see there personalities up and about town. I can
remember the example used, WHDH in the 1980s, and I remember traveling in
town to see him either broadcast at the mobile studio they had at Jordan
Marsh or in the van at Fanueil Hall. (I personally believe making your
station present in the form of remotes, charity functions, is more
cost-effective and works better than massive media campaigns.)

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting