Re: best announcer

- ----------
> From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com>
> To: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
> Cc: boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
> Subject: Re: best announcer
> Date: Saturday, April 12, 1997 10:36 PM

> ....Another problem is that an entire generation
has never heard personality-oriented radio....there has been such an
emphasis on "10 songs in a row, don't talk over the intro" mentality that
no
one knows how to do that kind of radio anymore.  The fragmentation that
radio has experienced hasn't helped either...there really is no such thing
as a "dominant" station in most markets anymore. ...
>Feel free to quote.

Great list and agree w/Steve's comments.  I feel that the emphasis SO many
stations in markets place on "respecting the music" by not wrapping
excitement or personalities around them has greatly contributed to what
many here and elsewhere consider "the homogenization" of the medium.  (It
is okay to have some stations with that very listenable approach, however.)
  Is that why Talk has fared so well?  Not a sports fan aside from the Sox,
I find myself listening to sports talk even if on a topic not of interest
to me because they are LIVE and they are LOCAL/Boston and they are doing
more than telling me title/artist and concert locations.

The problem with personality-driven formats is it is SO easy to make it all
sound so terribly bad given the fact that there are so many radio newbies
who would be better off keeping their personalities confined to a liner
card.  Or get some training.  Problem there is, as many of you know, the
average radio person does not take criticism or training very well, ergo,
they remain average.   To get 'good' personality talent you have to PAY for
it and you have to reinforce the personalities' presence across
environments - print, TV, public appearances, charity committments by the
company, etc.  (BZ, HDH, ROR, Kiss, and others).  1-5kW locals have been
known to do that well in the past, as well.  That is when they actually did
well.

Bill O'Neill