Re: Concert Network in the 50's & 60's

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Now Scott should jump in and provide a history of the Rural Radio Network
> AKA QXR Network AKA Ivy Network in upstate New York. This was a chain of
> stations from Troy (WFLY 92.3) across the state to somewhere near Buffalo,
> which ran an over-the-air-relay simulcast. I believe the first incarnation
> was RRN and it began before I started in college in Troy in 1952. By the
> time I got to Troy, I think it had alrady become the QXR Network, relaying
> the programs of (then) WQXR-FM (now WQXR (FM)) in New York City.

It wasn't just across upstate New York.  WTAG-FM, Worcester (Now WSRS) and
WXHR, Boston (Now WKLB-FM) both were affiliated with the QXR network at
one time.

WCRB also tried to operate that kind of network.  At first it was called
the "CRB Network," then it became "Concert Radio, the CR Network."  At
some point in the early 1960s, WMTW-FM on Mount Washington, NH switched
from the Concert Network to the CRB Network.  I think there also was a
WCRX in Springfield, which carried the CR Network programs in the
mid-to-late 60s.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/