Re: WITS.....man, what station ;) !

Garrett Wollman corrects me and fills in the pieces on WKSS 95.7:

>Actually, the original allocation was for Meriden (WKSS is the old
>WMMW-FM, if you can believe that);

No, not really, but I can understand why it was sold!  (I grew up two towns
south of Meriden, and can remember seeing a sign for WMMW, but never knew
anyone who ever listened!  It seems that the station never went anywhere,
even with a full service/AC format that it once had.  And any time I
flipped it on, the signal was poor, even for 1470.

[rest of story snipped]

Thanks for filling that in.  Now it all makes more sense.

I then said that they were up on West Peak, but brain cramp kept me from
recalling the other(s) up there.  Mr. Wollman fixed that too:

>If WNTY or WPRX had ever gotten an FM station, we might have five or
>six cities of license up there.  Oddly enough, there has never to my
>knowledge been any TV up there, although from the observation tower
>you can easily see the WTXX, WVIT, and WTIC-TV sites (but not as I
>recall the WTNH/WBNE or WFSB sticks).  The high-intensity strobes on
>the WTIC-TV/WRCH stick make it easy to spot.

I don't think there's ever been a TV facility up there, either.  WEDH (24
Hartford) and WEDW (49 Waterbury) are on with WFSB and WTXX, respectively I
believe.  WEDY (65 New Haven) was on a short mast atop East Rock in New
Haven, a whopping 300-350 feet over the city, and probably still is.
(Nothing else is up there but the WELI RPU antenna, tied via telco line to
Radio Towers Park, and I don't know if that's still up there.  When channel
59 West Haven was a translator of channel 30 (now WVIT 30--I think it was
WNBT then), I think they may have been on East Rock also (and that's when
there were two NBC affiliates in the market--WATR-TV 20 and whatever the
calls for 30 were prior to WVIT).  Channel 30 also had a translator in
Torrington on channel 79, but I can't begin to recall the calls on that
one...

Whew.  Enough Connecticut TV trivia for now...

Ed Hennessy