Re: WITS.....man, what station ;) !

<<On Wed, 9 Apr 97 8:10:34 -0400, ehenness@natick-amed02.army.mil said:

> I'm reminded of one odd circumstance in a dual COL situation.  WKSS
> Hartford-Meriden (Connecticut) has *always* had a dual COL.  There are a
> couple of odd things here.  One is that Hartford is listed first, rather
> than it being listed second to tie a suburb into a larger city.

Actually, the original allocation was for Meriden (WKSS is the old
WMMW-FM, if you can believe that); then it was changed to
Meriden-Hartford when the station was sold off separately and they
moved the studios to Hartford(*), and then about fifteen or twenty
years ago the cities were reversed and it became Hartford-Meriden.
Scott did some research in old BYs and could probably dig up the
years...

(*)I believe that, at the time, you were required to have your studios
(and not just ``main studios'') in the CoL, so if they wanted to
broadcast from Hartford they had to change the CoL to something that
included Hartford.

> Another
> odd thing is that their transmitter site is West Peak in Meriden.  At least
> one other station uses that location and did then, with comparable
> facilities, but is licensed to Hartford only.

In point of fact, there are stations up there licensed to:

Hartford (WDRC-FM, WZMX, WHCN)
Hartford-Meriden (WKSS)
Meriden (WPKT)
Waterbury (WWYZ)

If WNTY or WPRX had ever gotten an FM station, we might have five or
six cities of license up there.  Oddly enough, there has never to my
knowledge been any TV up there, although from the observation tower
you can easily see the WTXX, WVIT, and WTIC-TV sites (but not as I
recall the WTNH/WBNE or WFSB sticks).  The high-intensity strobes on
the WTIC-TV/WRCH stick make it easy to spot.

- -GAWollman

- --