WBZ-FM

RATINGS !!! The 12-24 year olds LOVED it !!!  NO Commercials, NO crap...just
continuous top-40 rock and roll with some cool dudes on tape. ("Captain Ken"
Shelton, Clark "Smith" Schmidt, "Disco" Vinnie Peruzzi and more).
<<

I remember Captain Ken and Clarke...but I didn't know that Disco Vinnie had
anything to do with it....

  In essence, WBZ-FM was a technical abortion.
Half the time, the automation would start simulcasting the AM or nothing at
all.
 The transmitter simply sounded terrible.
<<

They always switched to the AM side for news on the hour....and sometimes
*wouldn't* switch back!  I always wondered if this was a human error (was
someone supposed to hit the join/seperate switch...), or was it an automated
error (was the automation supposed to know how/when to join/seperate...)?  By
the weay, notice I said 'automation' instead of computer....that was a very
different time technically.  If I rmember correctly, the w-B-o-Z-o automation
actually sifted through a stack of 'puch cards' for the flow of the
hour....each card was an 'event'.....  My guess is that their biggest problem
was having punch cards getting 'stuck' in the reader...