Re: WRKO-FM and couple of sundry items.....

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, PETER GEORGE, N1GGP wrote:

  But when WRKO/680 hit the air on> March of 1967...WRKO-FM became a 50/50 simulcast.  I had to wait for
> 6:00 pm when the automation kicked in....."And now ladies and gentlemen...
> (thunk !)

  It was so strange to hear Arnie Ginsburg say WRKO-FM Boston as the RKO
jocks had to do one live station ID at the top of the hour.

>      On another note...... who was up at 3:00 am on March 19, 1972 when
> WCVB-TV hit the air.  Yes, I was up bright and early at 2:15 am to watch

  Oh I remember that night, and morning so well. WHDH's last movie was
"Fixed Bayonettes" (sic) which was ironic after the long court fight. WHDH
treated the last day like any other day....a Red Sox pre-season game from
Winter Haven, candlepins at noon and the like. Meanwhile you had Channel 7
showing off its new logo with the CBS eye, while still running ABC
programming.

  To show you how my mind keeps totally useless info, WCVB's first
commercial happened around 7 AM (Child World)...and the first newscast of
NewsCenter 5 may have been the funniest 30 minutes in local tv
history...NOTHING WORKED!