RE: Top 10 list radio related holiday gifts

On 11 Nov 2002 at 17:04, Hakim Madjid wrote:

> Back in early 80s I bought  one of the very first Sony 2001s
> (the predecessor of the 2010) when they went on sale in the US.
> It was of dubious build quality also - especially the key pad
> felt cheap. Not withstanding the pioneering (for a portable) key
> pad tuning on the 2001, I thought that my Panasonic RF-2200 back
> then was overall a better set.

I believe the Sony 2001 was the predecessor of the Sony 2002.  Both were much smaller
radios than the 2010.

> But why did you have to ship the 2010 to Alaska for repair? I would
> think the nearest Sony repair depot, such as the one in the Boston
> area (Westwood), would handle it. Unless you bought like a grey market
> version or something they didn't want to touch.

I've been very happy with the 2010 that I bought back in 1987.  I had a problem with it about
5 years ago, and I took it to Westwood for repairs. They fixed it in about a week and shipped
it back to me, and it's been fine ever since.