RE: Top 10 list radio related holiday gifts

At 07:27 PM 11/11/2002 -0500, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
early 90s.  Good receiver except for the chuffing and the fact that the
rotary tuning knob, which never worked right is now almost

I own a 398 and have compared it with several other Sangean radios;  it's
the best of all the Sangeans I've tried.
>>Radio Shack seems to have drastically paired down their selection of
>>SW receivers, besides the crappy $99.95 all band stuff. I wonder if

They made a deal with Grundig;  I saw Yacht Boy radios on the shelf when I
was buying there the other day.  I don't believe it's related to the BBC,
but more in their desire to sell phones and imitate Circuit City and their
belief that the demographics of people like us are not favorable.

While we're talking about radios, Radio Shack has their AM loop antenna
(Cat. #15-1853) on closeout for $19.95.  I bought one, and it works great,
at least better than my homemade loop.

I'm not a great fan of Sony but I did buy a new radio of theirs, their
4-band Sports Walkman (SRF-M80V), AM/FM/TV/Weather.  The TV & weather-band
sections are most mediocre, but the AM section has the most selective and
sensitive front end I've ever seen on a portable radio;  I was listening to
WCBS with it in mid-morning while waiting for a bus in downtown Salem.  I'm
not sure I still like this Sony (the labels on the buttons are wearing off
after only two months) but I am impressed with its performance.

Take care,

Dave

David Moisan, N1KGH   ARES/SKYWARN                dmoisan@shore.net
Invisible Disability:  http://www1.shore.net/~dmoisan/invisible_disability.html