Call me "Cache"

<<On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:41:49 -0400, "Bill O'Neill" <billo@erols.com> said:

> I hear that AOL is going to cache the pending release of the Starr documents
> to enable better access by users.  I would be curious if local news orgs.
> with sites can do something similar?

It really doesn't make any sense to do so.  The point of caching a
page is to reduce network congestion -- from the network's
perspective, you are probably equally far away from the Library of
Congress (whose ISP is melting down as we speak -- they should have
gone to AboveNet) as you are from channel 7.  If your ISP is AOL, you
are closer to Washington than you are to Boston!

- -GAWollman

- --