What station in New England has the longest continuing call letters and COL on the same frequency that only changed by treaty mandates?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jan 22 12:23:20 EST 2023

Here's what I wrote on the FB group:

It's tricky to try to do "same frequency" for anything before 1928.
That's when the Federal Radio Commission's General Order 40 created the
basic pattern of classes and channels that we have now on the AM dial,
modified somewhat by the NARBA shift of 1941. An extremely small number
of stations near the bottom of the dial survived General Order 40 on
their original frequencies (WLW, for instance), but none in New England.

The oldest surviving callsign in New England is, of course, WBZ, but it
moved from Springfield to Boston in 1931.

Looking back at the first issue of White's Radio Log from 1924, there is
only one callsign that survives today in its original COL, and nobody
else here has mentioned it yet: WSAR in Fall River. It was on 254
meters/1180 kc at the time. (It will turn 100 this July!)

General Order 40 moved WSAR to 1450, which is the pre-NARBA antecedent
of today's 1480. It doesn't get much more stable than that.

Other familiar call letters from the 1924 White's include WABI in Bangor
(which survived intact on AM until just a few years ago), WNAC in Boston
(antecedent of today's WBIX and, in a way, WRKO), WTAT Boston (ancestor
of WEEI and today's WEZE), WJAR and WEAN Providence (today's WHJJ and
WPRV), WPAJ New Haven (WDRC Hartford) and WCAX (WVMT) Burlington.

So... the best answer I can give to your question would be WSAR, so long
as you accept the constant pre-1928 frequency changes that almost
everyone went through.

I agree with WTIC-FM as the oldest surviving FM callsign in New England.
The 1944 Broadcasting Yearbook (the first after the FCC regularized FM
callsigns) shows WTIC-FM and WDRC-FM in Hartford, but that WDRC-FM
license is what eventually became today's WZMX 93.7, not the current
WDRC-FM 102.9.

(Since this was back in the 42-50 MHz era, there's no "same frequency"
at play here, of course.)

Boston had WBZ-FM, WGTR (actually in Worcester), WMTW on Mount
Washington, WTAG-FM in Worcester, and WBZA-FM Springfield. Only WGTR
(now WKVB 107.3) and WTAG-FM (now WSRS) have survived. There was no
other FM at the time in New England.

 From that entire single-page list of commercially-licensed FM stations
in 1944, the only others that have survived since without changing calls
are WNYC-FM in New York, WBBM-FM in Chicago and WMIT in North Carolina.
WNYE New York, KALW San Francisco and WBEZ Chicago add to that list on
the noncommercial side - and since WNYE has had those same calls since
it signed on as an "Apex" high-frequency AM station in 1938, it can
claim the very oldest calls on FM anywhere in the country.

And the answer for TV is trivial - it's WBZ-TV, of course, which will
turn 75 in June and has never been anything other than "channel 4,"
albeit only virtually now.