Format changes, flankers, and the state of the industry today

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Fri Nov 5 07:04:19 EDT 2021

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> As I said the other day, I'm not listening to broadcast radio all that
> much, and I'm watching TV even less, but I have noticed that the TV
> advertising that I do see is dominated by the lowest of low-rent
> advertisers.

TV as we used to know it is moribund. TV programming is expensive to
produce, and immediacy is less important for TV (except for live events
like the recently concluded World Series) than it is for radio. YouTube
and subscription streaming services are TV's future, I think.

> (Killing off NBCSN at least helps Comcast deal with their long-standing
> problem of "which of NBC's five different sports streaming sites will
> have the coverage of event X", because there will soon only be four of
> them.)

Part of the problem is that Comcast, which is a delivery company, now owns
the content it delivers. Very little good will come of that, I think.

Rob