WBCN, Channel-13, and the old Hancock tower

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Dec 4 01:48:58 EST 2021

It's good to have this list up and running again.  This is really
interesting stuff.

I seem to remember that I first heard FM radio in 1953, when my family
moved from Allston to Albany, NY.  The Boston school system was rather
stuck in the 19th century in many ways.  There was an "FM School of the
air" network which carried a number of educational radio programs in the
early afternoon, and we heard them on the PA system.  At first I thought
they put a radio in front of the microphone (I was in 4th grade at the
time).  I eventually saw the equipment in the office, which had a
built-in AM-FM tuner.  Teachers got a publication in advance which told
them the program schedule, and they would select which ones they wanted,
and the office staff would tune in the radio and the classrooms where
they were going to be heard.

The Boston school system at the time didn't even have PA systems.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. · 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 · Newton, MA 02459
617.367.0468 · http://www.attorneyross.com