WBCN, Channel-13, and the old Hancock tower

John Andrews w1tag@charter.net
Fri Dec 3 07:39:52 EST 2021

WTAG-FM got the QXR Network from WDRC-FM. Couldn't be done from the
4-story building in downtown Worcester, so it was done at the Paxton
site, beginning in 1959. Prof. Newell at WPI built a corner-reflector
receiving antenna, and a 3/4 wave filter made of copper pipe (4", if
memory serves), to try to keep WTAG-FM from overloading the REL
receiver. That filter still exists in the basement of the WTAG-AM
transmitter site, moved there just before the sale of WTAG-FM to Knight.

John Andrews