New England's first all-digital station on the AM band

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Dec 2 05:52:30 EST 2021

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021, Ron wrote:

> I picked them up on Storrow Drive around 4:30PM, sunset.  (Was that night
> pattern?)

Yes; the station went to night power at 4:15 (this is December, aaargh).

> Amazed at the quality of the sound!  Made me wonder if we were all too quick
> to dismiss HD on AM.  Then I recalled that this isn't hybrid, it's
> all-digital.  Maybe that makes a difference in coverage and fidelity?

Yes, all-digital provides more bandwidth, so it makes a difference. The
other factor, though, is that these are all linear recordings, not from
mp3. There are a couple of spots that came in as mp3s, and I can clearly
tell them apart.

> Are there future plans for developing this signal...or is it staying
> traditional jazz for the time being?

There are plans, but what I know of them may not be current.

Rob