TV Channel Changes

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Fri Oct 23 01:50:57 EDT 2020

The FCC established minimum distance separation rules to simplify TV
allocations. As I recall, the minimum transmitter-to-transmitter distance
was 150 miles for co-channel VHF.

Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 were assigned to NY City and its
immediate burbs. 13 was assigned to Newark.

Start with NYC and work out.

Albany / Schenectady / Troy (AST) wound up with 6, 10 and 13. The co-channel
Newark and Troy allocations resulted in a big tower northeast of the AST
market on Bald Mountain for channel 13. I think 13 in Newark was on a tower
in the Oranges in its early days.

Philadelphia got 3, 6, and 10. Wilmington got 12.

As for Boston, about 150 miles from NYC, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 could
have been available, but there were adjacent channel conflicts in other
cities.

-d