AM in Boston after WW II was: WBZ-AM Allston backup is no more

Ed Hennessy ehennessy@verizon.net
Thu Oct 22 07:30:09 EDT 2020

Wouldn't an 11 allocation for Worcester have required FCC permission to be short-spaced to NYC, with WPIX on 11?  That would have limited their power output too, so maybe that was not the best channel choice (even had they arranged with the Providence stations).
Interesting on 20 and 53--were those open allocations for New England at the time, or had they been assigned to Waterbury and Norwich by then (requiring a change to Worcester if WTAG got licensed)?

Wasn't there a similar problem with channel 2's allocation to Waltham, in that it wasn't too palatable to networks or otherwise?  (Or was it always a non-comm allocation?) I recall that Raytheon decided after a while to donate the license to what became WGBH.  Maybe that was Raytheon not knowing what to do with TV rather than an allocation/network issue.

Ed Hennessy

-----Original Message-----
From: John Andrews <w1tag@charter.net>
[...]

All of this clouded the crystal ball enough that they decided to drop
the Channel 5 approach and try to get something with more power. There
were three remaining tries for a T&G TV station:

I wish I had access to the files (I left WTAG 24 years ago), so what
follows is just from my failing memory. I believe the first step was to
get Channel 11 (the monochrome/color thing having been worked out by
then), but some deal would have to be arranged with 10 and 12 in
Providence, and that proved impossible. They then went after Channel 20
and I think 53, the latter process being abandoned around 1954. In both
cases they reached points were the lack of any network willingness to
settle for Worcester, and they had to give up. Lots of bucks were spent
with lawyers and consultants in all of those approaches, so it's tough
to fault their judgement.

To my knowledge, no TV allocations were pursued after that.