AM in Boston after WW II was: WBZ-AM Allston backup is no more

John Andrews w1tag@charter.net
Wed Oct 21 19:57:02 EDT 2020

Doug,

Just some thoughts on WTAG-TV and WTAG-FM, based on my time with WTAG-AM
and dusty old files I recovered at the time of the sale to Knight in 1987:

There were four incarnations of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette going
after a TV slot.

The most famous was Channel 5, and they actually had the construction
permit in hand at the end of WWII into (I believe) 1946. The obvious
reason for giving it up was that they couldn't arrange a network
affiliation. Of course, the TV networks didn't amount to much in 1946,
and a lot of local programming would have been needed, given the absence
of syndication, movies, etc. But there were other reasons. We have to be
careful in applying our knowledge of what later happened to the
situation the T&G found itself in!

1. The Channel 5 construction permit was for ridiculously low power,
16kW ERP, if memory serves. This would not have served the Boston market
with a transmitter site in Paxton. They were pinned down by another
station (on Long Island?) at the time, and it looked like no power
increase was possible. Of course, things turned out differently.

2. WTAG became a CBS affiliate during WWII, partly due to CBS Radio's
program schedule at the time, and because, unlike NBC, they allowed some
FM simulcasting. So, the WTAG folks paid the most attention to CBS at
the time of the Channel 5 decision. And CBS was convinced that color and
monochrome TV would use incompatible systems, and that color would be
done on UHF, leaving the VHF channels for B&W. Of course, the color
would be done with the old CBS "color wheel" arrangement. Not wishing to
be burdened with a monochrome signal, the WTAG folks saw less value in
Channel 5. As we know, that situation went in a whole different
direction shortly after.

3. Installation of TV facilities in the old 18 Franklin Street building
was going to be quite a project. I have seen the blueprints for the
proposed facility. One of the major problems was the afternoon Evening
Gazette run on the old press setup, which was basically under the the
proposed TV studios. Let's just say that they would have to have
shock-mounted the whole facility at no small cost. A milder version of
that had been done two floors up for WTAG in 1939, but this would have
been a bigger project. Also, there was no possibility of a microwave
shot from there to the Paxton site on Little Asnebumskit Hill, so
another rooftop would have had to have been rented.

All of this clouded the crystal ball enough that they decided to drop
the Channel 5 approach and try to get something with more power. There
were three remaining tries for a T&G TV station:

I wish I had access to the files (I left WTAG 24 years ago), so what
follows is just from my failing memory. I believe the first step was to
get Channel 11 (the monochrome/color thing having been worked out by
then), but some deal would have to be arranged with 10 and 12 in
Providence, and that proved impossible. They then went after Channel 20
and I think 53, the latter process being abandoned around 1954. In both
cases they reached points were the lack of any network willingness to
settle for Worcester, and they had to give up. Lots of bucks were spent
with lawyers and consultants in all of those approaches, so it's tough
to fault their judgement.

To my knowledge, no TV allocations were pursued after that.

Regarding WTAG-FM, a couple of thoughts.

First, the decision to sell WTAG-FM to Knight Quality Stations was
entirely made by the board of directors of the Telegram & Gazette. With
the possible exception of Robert Booth, the WTAG radio people were not
consulted. The directors of the T&G were certainly not radio people, and
this was primarily a financial decision. To illustrate the depth of
their radio knowledge, one of them later referred to WTAG-FM as "that
short-wave station."

Second, clearly WTAG-FM (and W1XTG which preceded it starting in 1940)
never made any money. Depending on FCC and network rules, various levels
of simulcasting were possible over the years. Toward the end of the T&G
ownership, considerable capital expenses were made for a new
transmitter, conversion to stereo, and remote control of the Paxton
site. I never realized, however, the depth of the financial losses until
we had to clean out some storage space in 1987. I came across a set of
ledger books for WTAG-FM which clearly showed years of applying failed
WTAG-AM activities to the FM side. While the books were properly kept,
and nothing really nefarious was done, the board of directors must have
only seen financial summaries that did not attribute the losses. I'm
sure this colored their opinion of the viability of WTAG-FM.

Third, the newspaper business was going through a big upheaval in the
early 1960's. Unions had just come in, and there was a long strike by
the folks that ran the Linotype machines right around that time. Major
capital investments were being made with an uncertain future.

Anyway, those are a few of the things that must have gone into the
decision to sell WTAG-FM. It was a stupid move by any measure, and they
should have dug into not only the local situation but the
already-started move to FM within the industry. But they chose not to
take their heads out of the sand, and later paid the price as FM won out
in the 1970's. The WTAG folks were appalled when the decision was
announced. Norman Knight got a good deal, and was willing to weather
some non-prosperous years right after. He deserves credit for that, and
for his eventual moves with WSRS.

Hope this helps, and that my memory hasn't wandered too far from reality.

John Andrews