AM in Boston after WW II was: WBZ-AM Allston backup is no more

Doug Drown ashboy1951@gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:04:29 EDT 2020

WTAG was, under the Telegram & Gazette and later under Knight, a 5 kw
regional station that operated as though it were a 50 kw clear channel
station --- a class act in every respect, with an excellent news staff
(including a Boston bureau), a longtime NBC affiliation, engaging air
personalities, and a strong signal that easily covered the whole county
plus well into western Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont ("NBC for
Worcester and all of Central New England").  All that having been said,
during the period of its newspaper ownership the station made a couple of
colossal blunders by not pursuing the Channel 5 allocation and then, ten
years later, selling off WTAG-FM, which became WSRS and almost immediately
became a huge success with its new Muzak-connected format.

In short: great management but lacking in foresight.  A bit of an enigma.
Go figure.