WGBH promotes its change of name

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:15:35 EDT 2020

I doubt that the purpose of the message was to offer an accurate history; rather, a downplaying of calls as a branding. There was also inaccuracy with regard to the W and K prefixes. As I viewed this, all I could do was imagine the brain room moment when it was discussed. To me, “GBH” sounds more like something on my annual physical exam blood test. But, alas, I’m not in marketing.

Bill O’Neill

________________________________
From: Boston-Radio-Interest <boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org> on behalf of Brian Vita <brian_vita@cssinc.com>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 3:06:59 PM
To: 'Donna Halper' <dlh@donnahalper.com>; 'Bill Smith' <billsmithmailsort@gmail.com>; 'Richard Chonak' <richard@chonak.com>
Cc: 'Boston Radio Interest Board' <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Subject: RE: WGBH promotes its change of name

No one's commented on the explainer that stated that the part of the calls after the W designated the location.  It was my understanding that the remaining letters in the call were either arbitrary or requested by bore no relation to the location.   As I understood, most broadcasters got the calls and then figured out what to do with them.

Brian Vita
CJazzChannel.com
Rockinatthedrivein.com