"April Fools Day 1975 WMUA 91.1 FM UMass" on YouTube

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 03:06:32 EDT 2020

     I'm turning myself in as the perpetrator of the newscast at the beginning of that telescoped segment on youtube. I have a tape of some of that day, but didn't know it had surfaced on youtube. Of course, my radio name that day, J. Paul Muddlemouth, was an homage to the CKLW newscaster J. Paul Huddleston. The two WMUA "news writers" I mention, Leo T. Baldwin and David Smith, were, as best as my feeble memory can recall, the creators and hardest-working-lunatics-ever who put the crazy 18 hours together. They wrote most or all the ridiculous fake news. Leo, IMO, was one of the funniest people ever born.
      And, as the text shown on the youtube video mentions, Charlie Pellett -- one of the few using his real name that day -- went on to a distinguished career with WINS and, more recently, WBBR/Bloomberg Radio, where I have heard him as recently as within the past year or so. He also is famous (with a few of us who are in the know) as one of the recorded voices used for announcements on NYC subway cars. One of his famous lines is -- wait for it now -- "Mind the closing doors." His voice has been cycled in and out of use for two or three decades. But I heard him one day last year on the F train. And I laughed the other week when I was watching an episode of the original "Law & Order.". In a scene in a subway car, I heard Charlie in the background. Life is a hoot and a half, luckily.