Late Night - Early AM on WBZ-AM is now Mr. Computer

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 04:42:00 EST 2020

In 1975, Dick Richmond had a meeting with Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey who was
livid about the format change on WHDH-850 from MOR to soft Top-40.

Richmond happily agreed to make 1510 a MOR station to get the Red Sox
contract which in turn increased the sale value of the station -
Incredablily the switched happened at the end of the 1975 regular season
and the Red Sox postseason games moved to 1510. That was not a major issue
for the first 2 playoff games at Fenway which were played in the afternoon
but Game 3 was at night and the WMEX signal became a big issue.

But Richmond worked out a lease deal with WWEL (107.9) and fans of that era
begrudgingly migrated to FM.

Richmond then sold the station to Mariner Communications who owned WLW-AM
in Cincinnati who in turn sold out to Jaycor that would become Clear
Channel and now iHeart.