Dan Strassberg

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Feb 27 11:23:09 EST 2020

A great many of my former colleagues are no longer with us. The latest to
go was Bill Campbell, who started Magic 106.7 back in 1981 and was general
manager of WCRB from 1998 to 2006. He was the best boss I've ever had, and
quite a character. I remember one day having lunch with him and Mo Polayes
(then the owner of WJZS 99.3) on Block Island. When Bill excused himself
and disappeared, we assumed he had gone to the rest room, but a few
minutes later I was looking over Mo's shoulder and there was Bill swimming
around in the harbor. Bill was quite a character.

He's the only GM I've ever heard of who made it a habit to visit his
transmitter sites. He actually persuaded Art Bump's people to hoist him up
to the top of the Block Island radio tower while they were there istalling
the antenna.

Mo and Art are also gone.

Whenever I had to go to Symphony Hall to work on the broadcast booth
equipment, I always tiptoed past the stage door lest I disturb anyone who
might be rehearsing; but when I went there with Bill one day, he sauntered
right out onto the stage and proclaimed in a loud voice, "Hi everybody!
I'm here!", which got him a dirty look from the only person in the hall,
an electrician working on a chandelier.

The last time I saw him was at former WCRB traffic manager Karen
Kozimor's funeral; the time before that was Dave MacNeill's funeral.
There have been altogether too many funerals.

Rob