WCAP On The Move, WLLH Lowell Going Dark?

tk41c@aol.com tk41c@aol.com
Wed Jun 26 15:43:47 EDT 2019

All-
The problem at the Sullivan Theater was not RF related, but electromagnetic interference from the large rotary converter nearby.  As I said earlier, even the monitors in the control room were shielded.
It must have been emotional, as CBS replaced the Norelcos with the Marconi MK VIIs where they lasted until Teletape bought TK-46s for "Kate and Allie." The Marconis were large and heavy, with apparently better shielding. Later, the converter was replaced with a solid state (rectifier) power supply.
As noted in an "Eyes of a Generation" post Philips eventually improved the shielding on the PC-69s at Sullivan, but by then, it was too late.  At its peak, The Ed Sullivan Show had an enormous audience on Sundays..possibly 30MM viewers,
The "PC-69" designation for CBS came from the two cable camera head used in the PC-60 with the new modular PC-70 CCU.
Jay Ballard

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Watson <markwats@comcast.net>
To: 'Kevin Vahey' <kvahey@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Boston Radio Group' <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sun, Jun 16, 2019 8:03 pm
Subject: RE: WCAP On The Move, WLLH Lowell Going Dark?

Kevin Vahey wrote:

>Mark, when was the transmitter moved from the 'Giant Building' at >Market and Dutton? I'm thinking it was around the time WSSH moved >to Woburn which would be 1986.

The WLLH tower on the roof of the Giant Store building at 4 Broadway, corner of Dutton Street was taken down in 1986 after both WLLH & WSSH moved their studios, WSSH as mentioned to Woburn and WLLH moved to studios in the newly built Lowell Hilton hotel, which later became the Sheraton Inn Riverfront. Then they moved to 44 Church Street for the last few years of Arnold Lerner’s ownership. WXPO studios were on Dutton near Market, just a block away from the Giant Store. I knew about the RF issues that wreaked havoc with WXPO’s cameras but didn’t know that CBS had RF issues at the Ed Sullivan Theater. How did CBS get around that?

Mark Watson