FW: WSMN (Was: Re: Call Letters Meaning on Wikipedia

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 22:43:00 EDT 2019

Thanks for the info; I looked up Clif and Claf online (didn't hear them,
only heard about them) and found a Sons of Sam Horn messageboard thread
about the passing of Clif Keane in April of 2003. It mentioned that Jerry
Williams had also just died, One post said that the nicknames Clif and Claf
inspired the names of "Click and Clack. the Tappet Brothers", Tom and Ray
Magliozzi of the WBUR-produced Car Talk. "Larry Claflin died of a heart
attack while the show was still going strong," said one post. (That was in
1981; UPI reported "Claflin, stricken moments before going on the air for a
sports talk show, worked since 1978 at WITS, the flagship station of the
Boston Red Sox radio network."

WITS call letters were on 1510 from 1978 to 1983. In 1981 they moved the
transmitter to Waltham and boosted to 50,000 watts day and night but some
areas still had problems getting them . As it was in 1978,
the poor 1510 signal at night meant WWEL-FM 107.9 picked up Red Sox night
games to help out.

Larry Claflin Jr wrote for the Salem News, I believe.