FW: WSMN (Was: Re: Call Letters Meaning on Wikipedia

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Jun 16 15:47:09 EDT 2019

We may never know if WSMN was a requested call, unless someone has
access to old FCC files.  The earliest call letter sequence for WSM-
(WSMA, WSMB, WSMC, etc) stopped at WSMK, way back in 1924 (call letters
were either assigned sequentially, or you could request them... for a
fee).  So unlike some call letters we know about, the WSMN calls were
not recycled from earlier stations that had gone dark.  WSMN took to the
air  with a dedication ceremony on *9 March 1958*, at 1590 AM; its first
full day of broadcasting was on the 10th.  It referred to itself as a
Nashua station at that time, rather than a Salem station; and yes, the
advertising slogan it used for all the newspaper ads was Weather,
Sports, Music, News. (But as I said, I don't know if those were
requested calls.  It may be the sales department created the slogan for
the call letters they were given.)

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies