Call Letters Meaning on Wikipedia

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Fri Jun 14 08:14:24 EDT 2019

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Bob DeMattia wrote:

> Ham Radio callsigns have few geographics restrictions.  Callsigns can begin
> in A, K, N, or W regardless of their location.
> The digit has some meaning with  sequentially assigned callsigns where the
> digit is assigned by one of ten areas:

> 1 - The New England States
> 2 - NY/NJ
> 3 - PA/MD/DE
> and so on.

Yes, but unlike broadcasting stations, ham station licenses aren't tied to
any particular location. The number will indicate where the licensee was
located when his or her license was granted, but if he or she moves, the
call sign will not change. I am WB2AVC, having received that call sign
when I was living in upstate New York in 1975, but I've been living in the
Boston area for more of the last forty years.

Rob