Call Letters Meaning on Wikipedia

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Thu Jun 13 19:47:14 EDT 2019

Ham Radio callsigns have few geographics restrictions.  Callsigns can begin
in A, K, N, or W regardless of their location.
The digit has some meaning with  sequentially assigned callsigns where the
digit is assigned by one of ten areas:

1 - The New England States
2 - NY/NJ
3 - PA/MD/DE
and so on.

There are also a few special prefixes like KH6 for Hawaii. KL7 for Alaska,
and some others for American Samon,
Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, etc.

However, people who request vanity callsigns can choose almost any prefix
and digit that they want.

Bob - K1IW