WBBR/WNEW

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Sat Jan 12 16:19:22 EST 2019

Not too many 50k AM's are directional toward Europe at night, so it makes
sense that it's signal would be one of the best. Every time I've been up in
Maine or Nova Scotia WNEW had one of the strongest nightime signals. I
agree--Too bad it wasn't still music. Thanks for the comments.
Mark Casey K1MAP
Hampden, Mass

Day and night for 1130 NY here on Cape Cod.

I remember it as WNEW too.  In the '80s I would blast it out in the car at
night on rides from metro-Boston to the Cape.

One summer evening I was tooling down Route 3 through the Plymouth pinelands
under a hazy moon and had Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall version of "Sing
Sing Sing" rocking the speakers like it was in the next room instead of
coming from a transmitter 200 miles away.  I had the windows down and Gene
Krupa's drumming was loud enough to blow the birds out of the trees.
When I went to Ireland in 1977, I had no trouble hearing WNEW playing
then-current Bond movie song "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon.  Maybe
not at next-room volume but still acceptable entertainment quality on my
Realistic TRF portable radio with no external antennas or gadgetry.  One of
the 4 or 5 best AM signals from the States.

Those sticks in the NJ salt marshes sure throw a signal far and wide.  Too
bad it's just dull talk now instead of jazz, swing, adult standards etc.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA