2 pleasant surprises this week

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Jan 11 23:58:25 EST 2019

<<
> > When AM1130 in NYC was WNEW....it was pleasant listening in Boston with a
> > very reliable signal after dark!

Day and night for 1130 NY here on Cape Cod.

I remember it as WNEW too.  In the '80s I would blast it out in the car at night on rides from metro-Boston to the Cape.

One summer evening I was tooling down Route 3 through the Plymouth pinelands under a hazy moon and had Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall version of "Sing Sing Sing" rocking the speakers like it was in the next room instead of coming from a transmitter 200 miles away.  I had the windows down and Gene Krupa's drumming was loud enough to blow the birds out of the trees.
When I went to Ireland in 1977, I had no trouble hearing WNEW playing then-current Bond movie song "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon.  Maybe not at next-room volume but still acceptable entertainment quality on my Realistic TRF portable radio with no external antennas or gadgetry.  One of the 4 or 5 best AM signals from the States.

Those sticks in the NJ salt marshes sure throw a signal far and wide.  Too bad it's just dull talk now instead of jazz, swing, adult standards etc.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA