Whence the nighttime interference on 1030?

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu Feb 14 15:08:03 EST 2019

What I usually have behind WBZ at night here in South Yarmouth, MA is LS10, Radio del Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

This is a representative recording from 17 FEB 2018 at 0000 UTC (7 p.m. EST local, 16 FEB):
https://app.box.com/s/oyrrwtxgcsbve9tbs5gh2tw6txg6i9o1

ID "Radio Noticias del Plata" is just a bit behind WBZ.

The other stations that occasionally show up on 1030 here mid-evening are WONQ in Orlando, FL and a Colombian. Those are both also in Spanish.

I am only 3 miles from water heading south. What others hear behind WBZ could be different. Some get Mexico City. Around sunset MD and TN stations can show before they power down / switch patterns.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA
<<
I live on the upper midcoast of Maine, where WBZ's daytime signal comes in
like gang busters --- absolutely crystal clear, no hiss or interference, as
though the transmitter were just down the road.  One the sun sets, however,
it deteriorates rapidly, especially at this time of year.  What is/are the
station(s) I'm hearing on 1030 kHz?  They seem to interfere with one
another, such that I can't make anything out plainly.  Am I correct in
thinking that 'BZ's signal is nondirectional?  If so, the presence of these
other stations' signals surprises me.

Larry Glick used to claim WBZ was non-directional...but apparently he hadn't seen the TWO towers in Hull. But they are directional by choice since there's nothing east of Hull but haddock and cod. I think WWL in New Orleans is like that too...directional by choice to maximize signal over land. I have also noticed lately that WBZ's signal "ain't what it used to be" where I live in Andover MA.