Whence the nighttime interference on 1030?

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 19:40:30 EST 2019

Larry Glick used to claim WBZ was non-directional...but apparently he hadn't seen the TWO towers in Hull. But they are directional by choice since there's nothing east of Hull but haddock and cod. I think WWL in New Orleans is like that too...directional by choice to maximize signal over land. I have also noticed lately that WBZ's signal "ain't what it used to be" where I live in Andover MA.

-----Original Message-----
From: Boston-Radio-Interest <boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org> On Behalf Of Doug Drown
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:42 AM
To: Boston Radio Group <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Subject: Whence the nighttime interference on 1030?

I live on the upper midcoast of Maine, where WBZ's daytime signal comes in like gang busters --- absolutely crystal clear, no hiss or interference, as though the transmitter were just down the road.  One the sun sets, however, it deteriorates rapidly, especially at this time of year.  What is/are the
station(s) I'm hearing on 1030 kHz?  They seem to interfere with one another, such that I can't make anything out plainly.  Am I correct in thinking that 'BZ's signal is nondirectional?  If so, the presence of these other stations' signals surprises me.