DX-ing Canada

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Apr 10 01:17:20 EDT 2019

<<On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 11:31:33 +0000 (UTC), Ed Hennessy <ehennessy@verizon.net> said:

> This is more of an interesting catch than anything else.  I've
> picked up 1310 CIWW Ottawa (50kW DA-2) in north Medford more than
> once at night.  Looking at the night pattern (5 antennas), it must
> be coming off a lobe (there's one pointing ESE) but it would seem
> that we're between lobes.

Naturally, since they have to protect WORC (1310 Worcester) and
several other co-channel stations.  These newer Canadian 50-kW
stations on regional channels were generally crammed in long after
numerous US stations established priority on the channel, so only a
very expensive and complex directional array suffices to provide the
level of protection required in the Rio Agreement.  It only "works"
because most Canadian AMs could be located south of the cities they
serve and beam north.  To achieve the required directivity, there are
(or recently were) six, eight, nine, and ten-tower arrays.

-GAWollman