Beep at top of the hour on WBZ disappeared

Doug Drown ashboy1951@gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:00:11 EDT 2018

CBC Radio One has been broadcasting a national time check every day at 1:00
PM ET for the past 78 years.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/the-beginning-of-the-long-dash-indicates-75-years-of-official-time-on-cbc-1.2823599

Also, WTIC, despite the recent ownership change, is still maintaining its
long tradition of playing a stylized, tonal version of the first four notes
of Beethoven's Fifth at the top of the hour.

As for the "transfer" of the WTIC-TV call letters to Hartford's Channel 61,
that's a long story spelled out in detail on Wikipedia.  WTIC AM-FM
and the *original
*WTIC-TV (now WFSB) parted ways in 1973 when Travelers Insurance sold the
stations to separate owners.

-Doug