wccm wnnw

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Thu Feb 1 20:28:38 EST 2018

My new car has HD radio, and I was checking the radio's performance while
driving around the Lowell/Andover region today. WBZ comes in with a stable
HD signal (probably 25 miles direct line from Hull), but I was surprised to
find that WNNW (800) no longer broadcasts in HD. I wasn't sure it was the
station or the new radio, so I actually drove up to the transmitter site to
make sure. No HD. I switched over to their translator, and that was in HD.
The HD1 was perfectly fine, but the volume on the HD2 channel was nearly
non-existent (reminded me of how WILD was for a while). I also checked out
WCCM (1570). Thinking I would be blasted out of my car parked 100 feet from
the 50,000 watt signal, I turned down the volume before switching. But
actually the signal was listenable, but not as strong as I was expecting,
and I was wondering if maybe they are transmitting from somewhere else?