Re: ​Re: Worcester's 1440AM

John Andrews w1tag@charter.net
Tue Dec 25 08:47:34 EST 2018

Eli,

Hoping that memory serves me correctly...

1440 (WFTQ) went with the Kahn AM Stereo system, and I don't recall that
they ever switched over to C-Quam. They were early and enthusiastic Kahn
promoters -- Dom Bordonaro was their Chief, and he later worked for Kahn
for a while.

1310 (WORC) did go with C-Quam. I'm thinking that Ron Frizzell from
Maine was one of the owners at the time, and he was a big C-Quam proponent.

580 (WTAG) definitely did go C-Quam. Quite a project. I'm not sure of
the year -- it may have been 1983. We were still owned by the T&G, with
studios in Worcester. The audio on day pattern was very clean, and a
pleasure to listen to on the pre-NRSC radios at the time. The night
pattern stereo was more trouble than it was really worth, but we got by.
We stuck with the C-Quam through the studio move to Paxton, and finally
killed it around 1994 when the station was mostly talk.

Regarding the earlier posts about AM coverage, 0.5 mv/m just ain't what
it used to be in houses or near power lines, due to increased noise
levels. It's funny, but some of the best AM radio listening around here
is in downtown Worcester, where there are no overhead wires.

John Andrews