Peter Casey out at WBZ-AM

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 05:10:00 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Don <astelle.donald@gmail.com> wrote:

> iHeart has some large big signal AM's that don't sound "all that bad"...
>
> And, personally, Entercom did nothing for WRKO....and basically made it the
> non-entity that it is today.  For the talk station of record in Boston,
> there is barely anything worht listening to on that station.
>
> I am hoping for some new vitality to be brought to WRKO....and we'll see
> what happens to WBZ. I-heart also now owns WCBS and WINS...we'll see how
> they deal with legacy stations that they have never had before...
>
> Keeping my fingers crossed.

Entercom now controls WINS, WCBS, WBBM and the other CBS news outlets,
WBZ-AM was the unexpected castoff to iHeart in cluster trading.

The late Neil Rodgers who was a talk show legend in South Florida
hammered away almost 30 years ago that local radio was doomed to
billable hours ( 6 AM - 6 PM ) and he was proven correct. We saw it in
Boston where David Brudnoy seethed when preempted by Bruins games but
was also aware the Bruins brought in more revenue to the station than
he did.

Boston was never able to support a true 24/7 all-news format on radio.
CBS tried with the old WEEI but relaxed the format at night for
billing opportunities. WBZ-AM didn't want to commit to all news 24/7
because of the reach of the station at night. WBZ-AM during the winter
months would show up in Chicago an hour before local sundown and be as
clear as the local stations. The problem was they could not generate
major revenue from the nighttime signal..

CBS in Boston  was clueless in how to sell ads to an older demographic
( see WODS 2012 ) and iHeart in Boston has the same problem. The old
WXKS-AM at 1430 AM had a sizable audience but the Boston ad team
didn't know how to sell it and in 2004 they went to Air America.