Norway Digital, USA HD, etc,

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Thu Jan 12 13:20:38 EST 2017

For mobile, The main complaint with FM HD, ( and this complaint has mostly
gone away) is improper signal timing during signal transition going between
Analog and HD, resulting in repeat or lag of the program content to the
listener. Generally, the current HD Car receivers provide better reception
in analog mode, than older analog sets.

AM HD is another story. Outside of the area where a station's signal is
extremely strong, it often suffers from dropouts when challenged by even
minor noise sources. WBZ's AM HD is the best I've listened to -- although it
never holds for long, it often decodes HD 90 miles away in Springfield, and
it holds pretty well in most of the Boston metro area. WCBS-AM's HD in New
York also works well. But WTIC-AM's HD is poor to fair at best. It goes in
and out up to within 10-15 miles of the 50kw station.

Then we also have the nightime problem with AM HD.

A major problem, with just a few exceptions, is that HD radio is not
standard in basic models, but only in luxury models. It is not even an
option on many cars & pickups. So, if HD were standard in most or all
models, that would help the mode a lot.

I bought a mid-range model of the Subaru Outback in 2014 and have been
impressed with the very, very good quality of the radio in both analog and
HD radio, on AM and FM both, especially considering there is not a standard
exterior radio antenna.

Mark Casey
K1MAP