Norway goes Digital, eliminates FM radio

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Jan 12 11:45:44 EST 2017

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> What lack of consumer HD receivers?  Most new cars have them, if you
> get one with a nav system, because that's how they get their traffic
> data.  (That way it works without a SiriusXM subscription, that being
> the other major nationwide provider of traffic data.)

That would require the radio stations to transmit the traffic data
(presumably through equipment supplied by the data distribution service).
I'm not aware of any broadcasters doing that. It's more likely the data is
being distributed via mobile broadband Internet.

"HD Radio" remains a solution looking for a problem. Its only major
success has been as an STL to feed FM translators.

There are some new car models that come equipped with "HD Radio", but by
no means all do. I've heard reports that some dealers are disabling it
rather than deal with buyer complaints about radio reception.

Rob