Moose Radio not transmitting

Richard Chonak richard@chonak.com
Sat Aug 19 23:54:01 EDT 2017

When I drove into Pittsburg, NH from Quebec the other day, a sign on US
3 urged drivers to tune to 1610 AM for information, so I turned on my
car's medium-wave receiver to check it out. Instead of a transmission in
English or French, though, I heard an unfamiliar language.

Based on the area-514 phone number announced in a commercial, I assume I
was hearing the noon Hindi news on CHRN Montreal (1000 w), barely
audible at 114 miles.  The signal became weaker over the next few
minutes and was gone soon. It's one of several signals in a network
transmitting programs in South Asian languages:
http://www.radiohumsafar.com/schedule/

The non-transmitting Travelers Information Station from NH Fish & Game
is billed in the FCC database as WQHY753, "Moose Radio Route 3", with a
location slightly north of the 45th parallel.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocSum.jsp?licKey=2966101

--RC