WJIB at 101.3

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 06:08:03 EDT 2017

Here on the North Shore lately I don't really hear the pirate cutting in
but I have picked up occasionally talk station WVQM Augusta ME or the WMRC
translator. Friday, I was at the Fresh Pond rotary and went Rt 2 to 128
north and the WJIB translator didn't take long to disappear in favor of the
WMRC one especially on 128. Yes there were ads for places like a sports bar
in the area; the "my 101.3" nickname etc.

The W267CE (//WJIB) has a signal pattern that doesn't go as far to the
north or west as one would suspect to protect stations on or near 101.3.
Last night on 114 in Peabody, 128 in Danvers and 62 in Beverly it was the
WJIB translator just about all the time but not perfect due to my being on
the fringe of the signal.I don't know if the pirate shut down or turned
down power.

Maybe the pirate is still around and affecting the WJIB // to the
south.While the pirate affects WJIB's translator, the same happens to those
trying to get Big City...overpowering it or interfering. Some of the
pirate's listeners are wondering on Twitter or Facebook why some oldies
station as they put it is cutting in or why they can't get Big City at all
now.

Think I read WJIB's translator pushes both horizontal and vertical while
the pirate only does one way? If Big City tries a different frequency (not
that it would be any more legal than what they're doing now) they may find
there are pretty much no open frequencies available. And if they cause
trouble to a huge company like Beasley, Entercom, CBS, etc they may find
themselves silenced extremely quickly (like a 93.5 in Mattapan). FCC issued
a letter of warning recently (one of many over the years I'd think); so far
no fines or seizures unless the feds moved in just now or the pirate shut
off the signal.I have no way of knowing.