WJIB at 101.3

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 10:26:36 EDT 2017

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 23:51:14 -0400
> From: A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
> Subject: Re: WJIB at 101.3
>
> I've been listening in my car since I saw the emails here about it. In
> and around Brookline, I've found the AM daytime signal better than the
> FM because of the pirate, or whatever it is, interfering. In a moving
> car, the other signal keeps cutting in and interfering. But I was in
> Waltham today and couldn't hear WJIB on FM at all. What is the range of
> the translator?

​I've heard the WJIB translator in Waltham, but it is weak there and
subject to interference, not so much from the Boston pirate, but from the
WMRC, Milford translator also on 101.3​ which I could also hear interfering
a bit in Waltham. The WJIB translator directional signal is reduced a bit
in that direction to protect that Milford translator.

Also, because the WJIB translator signal is sharply reduced to the
northwest to protect an adjacent station in NH, its reception in the north
side of Waltham may be worse than in the south side of Waltham. The
theoretical coverage map from Radio-Locator (disregarding interference from
pirates or other stations) is here, Waltham is mostly in the "distant"
category: https://radio-locator.com/pats/W252BT_FX_CU.gif